▶ Red line
In case of emergency, call +32473682107 (available during the event)
▶ Early arrival/Later departure
You are planning to arrive earlier in Belgium or to extend your stay after ESI? That's a great idea! But please note, it's important for us to know your decision in view of organising everything in the best way! Please remember you are fully responsible of organising your stay during these periods.
Early arrivalsWe have set up 2 time windows for the registration of people being around:
- On 19/07, from 12:00 till 13:00 at Tour & Taxis* (lunch will be provided)
- On 19/07, from 16:00 till 17:00 at Tour & Taxis*
- Date: 19/07
- Time: 12:00 or 16:00
- Mean: Own
- Company: Other
- Origin: Other
- Origin detail: -
- Destination: Tour & Taxis
Late departuresWe have set up 1 time window for the registrations people staying around:
- On 25/07 morning from the hotel when doing your checkout.
- Date: 25/07
- Time: 00:00 (you shall leave the latest at noon)
- Mean: Own
- Company: Other
- Origin: Hotel
- Destination: Other
- Destination detail: -
StandsThe stands are in U shape and the dimensions are:
- For the projects counting only with posters: 2,5m (H) * 2m (W) * 1m (D) with a table, 2 seats and 1 socket
- For the other projects: 2,5m (H) * 3m (W) * 1m (D) with a table, 2 seats and 1 socket
Plug outletPlug type E compatible with type F More information on: http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/typeE.htm
ProjectsProjects must be related to a scientific or technical topic and have to enter one of the following categories:
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Plant Sciences
- Animal Science
- Environmental Science and Ecology
- Agricultural Science
- Earth Science - Geography and Geology
- Computer Science and Applications
- Engineering - Electronics, Electrical
- Engineering - Chemical, Metallurgical
- Engineering - Mechanical
- Engineering - Civil
- Engineering - Industrial
- Energy (alternative, renewable, sustainable)
- Marine Science
- Astronomy and Space Science
- Medical Sciences (human anatomy and physiology, diseases, cures, drugs)
- Health Care (primary healthcare, prevention, diet, hygiene)
- Architecture, Housing, Settlement Studies
- Social and Psychological Sciences
- Tourism opportunities, including ecotourism
- Recycled Materials
- Food Sciences and Food Technology
- Scientific Teaching Aids
- Little scientists/Débrouillards (under the coordination of the FIPD only)
▶ Plug outlet
Plug type E compatible with type F
More information on: http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/typeE.htm
▶ What is the cultural evening?
The cultural evening is the opportunity given to showcase cultural presentations from the participating countries. Every country is invited to present a 3 minutes performance giving a sample of their culture (dance, song, etc.). We take your attention on the timing due to the quantity of countries performing and the limited time. Remarks:
- The material for your performance is to be provided at your friend of delegation on a USB stick by Tuesday 21st July
- Performing at the cultural evening is not mandatory
- Delegations must register the latest on 21st July
- Delegations from a same country are kindly invited to join in one performance
- National anthem and videos are not authorised
- The given time might extend according to the number of registered delegation
The participants are expected from Sunday 19th July till Saturday 25th July. No pick up at/drop off to the airports will be organised out of the given frame.
▶ Who can participate?
- Organisations and institutions affiliated to MILSET can register directly (check the list here)
- Organisations and institutions not affiliated to MILSET need to contact the organising committee once registered in the system to ask for their accreditation
- Direct registrations of individuals are not authorised.
▶ How to get there and get cheaper tickets?
The organising committee is welcoming you in the 3 locations here bellow. Would you arrive before 19/07 and departure after 25/07, please take a look at our early arrival/later departure information.
Brussels International Airport
- Airport Code: BRU
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Connections: flights to all principal international hubs, many European and African destinations and some destination in Asia and America
- Website: http://www.brussels-airport.com
- Welcome desk: You will find us at the information desk in the arrival hall. Turn right when exiting the international area.
Brussels South Charleroi Airport
- Airport Code: CRL
- Location: Charleroi, Belgium
- Connections: Low cost flights to all Europe and Mediterranean countries
- Website: http://www.charleroi-airport.com
- Welcome desk: You will find us in the arrival hall
Brussels South Train Station (Bruxelles Midi)
- Airport Code: ZYR
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Connections: Fast trains to France: Paris and Charles De Gaule airport, UK: London, the Netherlands: Amsterdam and Schiphol airport, Germany: Frankfurt
- Website: http://www.b-europe.co.uk
- Welcome desk: the meeting point in the main hall at the level of platforms 3 and 4
Brussels North Train Station (Bruxelles Nord)
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Connections: Trains to Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg and Bus to Europe
- Website: http://www.b-europe.co.uk
- Welcome desk: the meeting point in the main hall
Get cheaper ticketsSAVE UP TO 20% ON TRAVEL WITH THE STAR ALLIANCE™ NETWORK The Star Alliance member airlines are pleased to be appointed as the Official Airline Network for MILSET Expo-Sciences International 2015. To obtain the Star Alliance Conventions Plus discounts please visit Conventions Plus online booking tool (event code: SN02S15). Registered participants plus one accompanying person travelling to the event can qualify for a discount of up to 20%, depending on fare and class of travel booked. The participating airlines for this event are: Adria Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Copa Airlines, Croatia Airlines, EgyptAir, Ethiopian Airlines, EVA Airways, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, SWISS International Air Lines, TAP Portugal, THAI, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines. Discounts are offered on most published business and economy class fares, excluding website/internet fares, senior and youth fares, group fares and Round the World fares. When making your travel plans please present confirmation of your registration or proof of attendance for the Event/Convention. Special procedures to be followed for travel to/from Japan.Discounts may be offered by the participating airlines on their own network. To obtain these discounts please contact the respective carriers’ booking office. Contact details can be found on www.staralliance.com/conventionsplus/delegates/ under “Conventions Plus Booking Contacts”. please quote the event code SN02S15 for ticket reservation
Nationals of most third countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) are under an obligation to hold a visa for a proposed stay of a maximum duration of 3 months on the territory of the SCHENGEN States. If you need a VISA to come to Belgium:
- The participant have to complete the registration information online;
- The participant requests its invitation to the organiser by email once the registration is completed;
- The organiser issues the invitation and the accommodation reservation and make them available into the online registration system;
- The participant fulfils all requirements needed and handle his/her request with the embassy or consulate in charge for Belgian visas. To note, this might be handled by another Schengen embassy.
- The participant is fully responsible to handle its visa in due time and to provide all required documents to obtain it;
- The organisers will not be responsible if a participant does not receive his visa on time to travel;
- The visa request should be entered at least 2 months in advance;
- The visa costs 60€ + the administrative cost;
- The participant wishing to extend its stay must be able to justify the additional time (hotel booking, etc.) when requesting its visa.
- Quick check if you need a VISA
- Donwload the detailed information concerning the visas
- List of country requiring a VISA
- List of Belgian embassies/consulates (for short term VISA, Belgium can be represented by another Schengen Country)
- Requirements for a VISA application on the immigration office website
- Minor children must submit an application form signed by a person with parental authority or by a legal guardian and If travelling without them. This means papers from both parents (requested to avoid parental rape);
- A cover letter from the organisation to the person responsible is an asset;
- If the list of participants is changing, the invitation must be updated;
- It might be requested at the border to prove that every person is having 50€/day;
- For minor children, this might include information about the parents; registration evidence to the following scholar year is an asset;
- The proof of transport is not required when you lodge the visa application, to avoid unnecessary costs but might be asked.
- You can make an informative quick check on your requirements on: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health
▶ Tips about Belgium
Who we are
- In summary we can say that Belgian people are really friendly, party-being and have a great sense of hospitality so they will certainly share this personality with you.
- We know we're living in this strange small country surrounded by political disputes between the communities. But well, politics is not the way citizens are and fortunately we know about us and can make jokes about ourselves. The sense of humour and self-mockery is then one of our strength we can say.
- Typical belgian stuff are the "Belgian compromise" which our peaceful method to settle the disputes, and the "brick in the belly" as we invest heavily in homes building and restauration.
- So now you might want to know what you can do or not when you are with people.
- There are not so much rules actually
- If you want to say hello you have the choice between shaking hands or giving one kiss on the cheek. It all depends on how well the feeling is going between you and the other people.
- Belgian jokes are not that funny to us
- It's considered a bad thing to spit on the streets eventhough sometimes it happens!
- Queuing is not really of our concern even if people are respectful. Just make your way.
- Lunch is between 12 and 1 pm, dinner time is aroud 7 and 8 pm.
- If you're invited to a house, it's generally considered that you bring flower the the lady of the house.
- For the rest, don't worry you're in Belgium keep in mind to act like us : adaptation, party, relax, humour and no pride... it should do!
All participants must be covered by an insurance for the period of the event.
The accommodation will be operated in the following hotels:
- Husa President Park
- Hotel le Dôme
- Thon City Center
- Thon EU
- Would you like to handle your own accommodation, please:
- inform the organisers
- note it will not impact the registration fees
- note we will not handle the transfers from/to the accommodations accept for: the Sheraton, the Crown Plaza and the Hilton located on Rogier square
- The organisers keep the possibility to board you with a participant from another delegation taking care on your gender and age.
▶ Is ESI a competition?
ESI 2015 is a non-competitive event. No comparison and ranking between the projects will be undertaken.
Tour & Taxis Avenue du Port 86c Havenlaan 86c 1000 Brussels http://tour-taxis.com More information on: https://esi2015.milset.org/visitors/
▶ Fees & ratio
FeesThe participation fee is:
- 300€ per participant and supervisor in the allowed ratio for an organisation or an institution affiliated to MILSET in order of membership fee*
- 400€ per participant and supervisor in the allowed ratio for an organisation or an institution affiliated to MILSET not in order of membership fee or non-affiliated to MILSET
- 900€ per press delegate
- Bank transfer (all transfers costs are at your own charge)
- Online payment with VISA, American Express or MasterCard (a service fee of 4,95% is charged)
RatioThe allowed ratio of supervisors (including heads of delegation) is calculated as follow:
- Up to 1 extra supervisor each group of 4 participants
- 1 head of delegation if the delegation is at least 3 participants
Participants 1-2 3-4 5-8 9-12 13-16 17-20 ... 50 Supervisors up to 1 up to 2 up to 3 up to 4 up to 5 up to 6 ... up to 14
▶ When is the registration deadline?
The registration deadline is set on 1st May 2015